The study program’s generic objectives:
Prepare teachers capable of:
- Manage and provide specialized nursing care to children, youth and family in health-disease processes, respecting ethical and social responsibility
- Lead teams and processes of nursing and health care, aiming at the continuous improvement of care practice
- Apply knowledge and skills for understanding and solving problems in new and complex situations of nursing care for children, young people and families, in multidisciplinary contexts of child and pediatric health.
- Conduct processes of reflection, investigation and dissemination of knowledge relevant to the discipline and nursing practice in child and pediatric health.
- Communicate knowledge and reasoning underlying child and pediatric health nursing practice and research, clearly and unambiguously, to different audiences
- Adopt responsible behavior for lifelong learning and collaboration for the development of discipline and profession
Intended learning outcomes (knowledge, skills and competences) to be developed by the students:
- Develop decision-making and care management skills based on knowledge, scientific evidence and nursing concepts, ethical principles, ethical values and standards, policies and guidelines for child and pediatric health
- Develop the holistic and humanistic conception guiding the provision of care to children, young people and the family, recognizing them as partners, within a framework of family-centered care, non-traumatic care and a therapeutic environment
- Train the provision of care for children, young people and families throughout the life cycle, in response to the needs of growth /development, in situations of risk and of special complexity, promoting the maximization of health
- Develop capacities for the critical use, production and dissemination of scientific evidence from the Nursing field Train for critical reflection of your learning results from a personal and professional development perspective
Insertion of the study program in the institutional educational offer strategy, considering the mission of the institution and their educational, scientific and cultural project:
ESEL maintains training at the level of the various study cycles. The second cycle envisages the development of advanced and specialized training, in response to the health needs of children, young people and the family and the training of nurses in this area, which fits into ESEL's mission as “a center for creation, development , transmission and diffusion of nursing culture and science, which aims at excellence and innovation ”(Normative Order No. 16/2009, of 7 April, p.13851). This cycle of studies is in line with the applicable legislation, the professional skills provided by the Order of Nurses and the respective Community Directive.
The Master's Curriculum was built from the knowledge and skills of the first cycle and has as its horizon the PhD Program in Nursing at the University of Lisbon (UL) built and carried out through a UL-ESEL partnership (Deliberation No. 1040 / 2004 of 12 August) in conjunction with ESEL's UI&DE.
The Master's program makes it possible to consistently articulate the three training cycles in nursing and is anchored in a teaching staff with a PhD, Master and Specialist in Child and Pediatric Health Nursing, in the accumulated experience of teachers who have participated in the Program since 2010 Masters in Nursing and since 2016 in the Doctoral Program in Nursing.
The Master's Course in Child and Pediatric Health Nursing (CMESIP) is justified by the need for nurses to demonstrate knowledge, skills and practical skills, as provided for in Decree-Law No. 74/2006, article 15; competences that allow the attribution of specialist title by the Ordem dos Enfermeiros, according to Regulation no. 392/2018, article 22. In this way, the Course aims to develop skills to ensure specialized nursing care and to respond to current and future health challenges and the evolution of the Portuguese health system, according to the epidemiological and demographic indicators, the National Health Program Children and Youth (2013) and advances in science and technology. The investment in the qualification of nurses, namely through specialization in Child and Pediatric Health Nursing, is reflected in gains in efficiency and effectiveness in health and in the provision of quality health care (OE, 2018).
|Plano de Estudos / Study plan-1st year- 1st semester|
|Unidade Curricular / Curricular Unit||Área Científica /Scientific Area (1)||Duração /Duration (2)||Horas Trabalho /Working Hours (3)||Horas Contacto /Contact Hours (4)||ECTS||Opcional||Observações/Observations(5)|
|Advanced Nursing||723||semiannual||108||T-10; TP-18; S-15;||4||-|
|Research||723||semiannual||81||T-10; TP-4; PL-8; S-10;||3||-|
|Nursing Ethics and Deontology||723||semiannual||54||T-10; TP-5; TC-2; OT-5;||2||-|
|Theoretical frameworks and models in child and youth nursing care||723||semiannual||189||T-25; TP-25; S-20; OT-6;||7||-|
|Growth and development of children and young people||723||semiannual||189||T-30; TP-20; PL-16; S-10;||7||-|
|Promotion of healthy behaviours and lifestyles in children and young people||720||semiannual||189||T-40; TP-10; S-15; OT-11;||7||-|
|Plano de Estudos / Study plan-1st year- 2nd semester|
|Unidade Curricular / CurricularUnit||Área Científica /Scientific Area (1)||Duração /Duration (2)||Horas Trabalho /Working Hours (3)||Horas Contacto /Contact Hours (4)||ECTS||Opcional||Observações /Observations (5)|
|Nursing Management and Leadership||723||semiannual||81||T-22; TP-10;||3||-|
|Child and young person in particularly complex situations||723||semiannual||189||T-40; TP-10; S-15; OT-11;||7||-|
|Project in pediatric nursing||723||semiannual||54||T-7; S-10; OT-10;||2||-|
|Optional course – Emotional work in pediatric nursing||723||semiannual||81||T-10; TP-4; S-15; OT-3;||3||1||-|
|Optional course – Playing, toys and games||720||semiannual||81||T-10; TP-10; S-12;||3||1||-|
|Optional course - Caring for the child at rist or victim of abuse||723||semiannual||81||T-5; TP-10; S-14; OT-3;||3||1||-|
|Internship||723||semiannual||405||S-30; E-160; OT-20;||15||1||For Internship with Report|
|Project development||723||semiannual||405||TC-67; S-50; OT-45;||15||1||For Dissertation or Project Work courses|
|Plano de Estudos / Study plan-2 nd year- 1st semester|
|Unidade Curricular /Curricular Unit||Área Científica /Scientific Area (1)||Duração /Duration (2)||Horas Trabalho /Working Hours (3)||Horas Contacto /Contact Hours (4)||ECTS||Opcional||Observações /Observations (5)|
|Internship with learning report||723||semiannual||810||S-40; E-360; OT-30;||30||1||The student chooses one of the routes|
|Dissertation||723||semiannual||810||TC-284; S-20; OT-20;||30||1||The student chooses one of the routes|
|Project work||723||semiannual||810||TC-284; S-20; OT-20;||30||1||The student chooses one of the routes|